Thursday, September 11, 2008

Travelling to Reno-Thursday, September 11







About six months ago, my second son, Josh, and I decided to go to the Reno Air Races. He lived in Reno from 2002 until 2004, met and married his wife in Reno, and has friends who still live in Reno. Plus my wife (his mother) and I visited him in 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed the one day we attended the air races then, so it seemed like a logical place for us to go.

Josh lives in Ohio and I live in Alabama, so we made airline reservations with Southwest so we could travel together from Chicago to Reno. My flight originated in Nashville at 7:15 CDT this morning and his flight departed Columbus at 7:30 EDT so we've both had a long day. We arrived in Reno at 12:15 PM PDT after a four hour flight from Chicago Midway.

Today was September 11, and I couldn't help but think of the tragic events on this day seven years ago. Somewhre over the middle of the country, my iPod played Toby Keith's very patriotic "Courtesy of the USA." It was quite sobering.

I made a few photos with my little Canon SD1000. As we were turning left base to final for Reno Runway 16R, I recognized Stead (rhymes with "bed") Airport in the distance.





After getting our rental car and checking into our hotel, we made a quick run to a camera store and to a drug store for some stuff. Then we ate a big meal (airlines don't feed you much anymore) at an all-you-can-eat buffet and are now ready to get a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow should be an exciting day. The Thunderbirds will be practicing for their Saturday show and there will be plenty of racing.

I posted some more photos to a Picasa album here.

That's all for Thursday night.

No comments: